Sunday 11 December 2011

How can I network my notebook to print wireless?

I have a Linksys WRTG (or something like that) wireless access point router providing wireless internet to my notebook from being hooked up to my cable modem. I have an iMac 08 as my main PC, and a Windows Vista notebook. How would I set it up so I can print with the printer that is downstairs with my main computer when I'm upstairs on my notebook?How can I network my notebook to print wireless?
you need a wireless print server attached to your printer. you can connect the wireless print server to your printer via USB.



Once the Print server is attached and powered on your laptop should be able to pick up you printer as a wireless device.



Look at the diagram in this link http://www.usr-emea.com/images/popups/54鈥?/a>



WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND, THE QUESTIONER WANTS TO PRINT WIRELESSLYHow can I network my notebook to print wireless?
just make sure that file and printer sharing are turned on, and set up a new printer with the address to the other computer and the printer name




you will need to enable printer sharing on the computer the printer is connected to then install the printer on the second (3rd 4th etc) computers. they will actually be sending the print command to the computer connected to the printer and then it will print for you. this means the printer will have to be mac and windows compatable...



check out

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2275

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.htm鈥?/a>
you can either grab the c.d. that came with the printer and install it on the comp. if the printer is old then you would have to go to the website of the manufacturer of the printer and download the drivers for vista. once you have done that you would go to network, add a printer tab and ( add network printer) once you have chosen that option it will find the drivers and the printer and hopefully connect. but thats not a guarantee. after all it is vista.
1. If the printer is a Network printer, then you just add the printer via the IP address of the printer.

2. If its not a network printer, then you will have to share the printer from your main computer(Host). After sharing the printer, connect to your iMac computer using UNC (example: \\macpcname or \\macpcipaddress) press Enter after typing in the hostname (macpcname).

3. At this point you should see the shared files and folders on your iMac. If you see the printer icon, right click and select Connect. It should disappear after sometime, this means it went through.

4. If everything goes well, the printer should be in your Printer's folder via Control Panel.



Hope this helps. If you have more questions, IM me at benjaminc1430.
You have a couple of different options. For starters, you can use ';Samba'; to make your imac impersonate a WindowsNT file and print server. So as far as your PC is concerned, it thinks it is talking to another PC with a printer.



MacOS also speaks the stock standard BSD Unix method of sharing printers knowns as ';LPD'; or ';LPR'; (the command to print is ';lpr'; which speaks to a server called ';lpd'; - the protocol itself doesn't really have a name but most people either call it LPR or LPD). In my humble opinion (mind you, I work on Unix day in and day out - Solaris, AIX, Linux, etc.) LPD is much easier to setup.



On your PC, you tell it it is a ';local'; (not a ';networked';) printer, and then when it comes to selecting a port, like ';LPT1';, select ';create a new port';. Use the pulldown menu to select an ';LPR port';. Give it the IP address of your iMac as the print server. You might need to enable something on your mac too to allow it to accept LPD traffic.



Frankly, I have an ethernet based print server. This is a small box that has a Parallel port and and ethernet port and all it does is serve up printing (via SMB, via LPR, etc.). With one of these (and they do make USB models now), your printer isn't tied to either computer.
  • hide my myspace song
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment