Sunday 11 December 2011

How do I add more computers to a wireless network?

I have recently moved home to my parents, and can no longer connect to their wireless network.



There is a box saying 'attempting to connect' or something, and then I get an error message.



I think the problem might be that my sister has got a laptop since I have been away, and so there are currently 4 computers connected to the network. I heard that some networks automatically set a limit of 4 client PCs, so how do I increase this?



I think I read something about logging into a router, but cant remember anything more. Incidentally, the wireless box is not physically connected to any of the computers.



Hope you guys can help, thanks!How do I add more computers to a wireless network?
your wireless card should scan for a network to connect to you should be able to connect to it then. Find your internet connection and click on it, see what options you have.

If you want to clear the list of computers in the DHCP list, which is the deal that automatically gives out ip addresses, just, restart the router that should do it. Then try to connect again. If the number is limited to 4 and your sis ain't around right now, you can take her spot.How do I add more computers to a wireless network?
if you are connected via cable to the router it usually has a limit of 4 but if it is wireless try to reconfigure your settings and see if it shows the hotspot connection and try to access it again. with some network interface cards ( what is used to connect to the internet or a network) some cards have their own software that will do this for you. check with old disks or documents that came with or download patches or doucmentation from the vendor
Get on your sister's laptop and click on....start....run..press enter....a black dos window will open up.



In that window type... ipconfig and press enter. It wil;l give you some info like IP address etc...



Look at the default gateway. Should be like 192.168.0.1 or something. Open a browser(internet Explorer) and type that address into the browser.



You will then be asked for a username and password. You will need to know this. IUt should be in the router manual or you can look the default one up online.



Once you have logged onto the router, then look at the dhcp addresses. This is where it would limit the number of computers. If that is ok then check your wireless settings. see what type on encryption you are using and match the encryption level and the key on your laptop.



Hope this helps...Email me if you cant figure it out. I may not get back to you tomorrow though. Going to see transformers...Yes I am a Nerd;)



GL
The default amount of wireless computer ( or devices ) that can connect to a wireless router is around 250.

Most likely your sister was high tech and turned on the wireless security .

You need the special code to get in.

If the security is not on try changing the channel from channel 6 to 1 or 11.

A good program to help you is network magic



www.networkmagic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment