Friday 22 October 2010

How do I do this for Fedora Core 3?

So I burned an image of fedora core 3 to a disk. Then I installed it onto a partition on my drive. That's fine. I cannot get the linux connected to the internet. I have no idea how to do this and keep getting repomd.xml errors. Repository or something. I'm very confused as to how to set up the network. i have enabled wired and wireless connections.How do I do this for Fedora Core 3?
If this was ubuntu, i would plug in to your network with a cord, and then go to system -%26gt;Administration -%26gt;hardware drivers. you can then install any drivers you need, reboot and your are set.



Fedora has been problematic for me.



fedora is the open source experimental version of redhat linux. centos is the stable version of redhat, i might try that - or go for ubuntu (i'm using it right now).How do I do this for Fedora Core 3?
Can you connect wired (with an ethernet)? Can you pick up any wireless networks?? If not, then it may be the drivers for the wireless card is not availible. And the repomd.xml error comes because you cannot connect to the internet and yum is trying to update.

Also, try upgrading to a newer version of Fedora; Fedora 13 is now out and maybe your problems will be solved!
Open a terminal and try pinging a popular website.

ping yahoo.com

If it works, you can reach out to the internet. If it doesn't, try pinging an ip.

ping 8.8.8.8

If it works, your DNS isn't working. cat /etc/resolv.conf to see if the NetworkManager set up the DNS. If pinging ip doesn't, try pinging the localhost to see if the nic is working.

ping localhost

No comments:

Post a Comment