Thursday 28 October 2010

How do I hookup a wireless laptop and a wired desktop to my cable modem?

I have a brand new Dell laptop with a Dell 1370 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps5) and an older desktop. I want to hookup the laptop wirelessly.



I know I need a router and a wireless access point. However, I would also like to have a firewall in there.



Do all routers have firewall protection in them?



Is there any type of firewall/ router wireless access point product on the market that has all three in one?How do I hookup a wireless laptop and a wired desktop to my cable modem?
I have a similar setup to what you are trying for, and I can tell you that (Sk8) Julien is incorrect: you don't need a host computer. Here's what to do.



Find a router that accepts both wired and wireless connections. There are many on the market; at the moment I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. It acts as a wired router, a wireless access point, and a firewall -- all for about US$50.



Using Ethernet cables or wireless connections as necessary, connect the boxes up this way:



[Cable modem] --%26gt; [Router] --%26gt; [Computers].



The router's setup should have a place where you tell it how to connect to the Internet. Enter your login information there. If you have been using client software to log into your cable connection from your computers, you will no longer do so, since the router takes care of the login.How do I hookup a wireless laptop and a wired desktop to my cable modem?
First All new wireless routers come with firewalls. second windows XP comes with a fire too. and third yes look at belken, and dag i forgot the others but there's a few out there.
Okay. For starters you are going to pic a host computer. A host computer is the computer that you are connecting to the cabel modem and router. For your laptop that already has a wireless card in it will read the signal from the network you set up. Your cable provider has a router organization thing that will only let you choose only the users you want by their mac address or physical address.To find the physical address type ipconfig in dos and it will look like this xx-xxx-xxx a litttle. You should be all set. If you need more help ask. And p.s. your router is the access point aswell as the firewall depending on how you set it up.
Most routers have built-in hardware firewalls. These are fairly simple and protect against basic attacks. For the setup you describe I suggest a firewall on each computer. XP has a built-in firewall, or you can use ZoneAlarm or something similar.



If you are setting up a wireless network, be sure you set up some form of encryption. Be sure you read up on the proper setup for a wireless network.
http://bartman1.blogspot.com/ you'll find helpfull info here
Get a linksys wireless router (you dont need an access point, the router acts as one)
  • rodents
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment