Friday 22 October 2010

How does built-in wireless connection work in a laptop?

I understand that I can get wireless internet connection if my laptop has a built-in wireless card for as long as I'm in a ';hotspot'; where I get connection from radio waves. How true is that? I am planning to get a laptop, but I'm not sure if where we live now is actually a ';hotspot'; or not where I could use it for regular web surfing? We do have broadband internet for our desktop now, but I don't want to have a wireless router connected to that as it is connected to my work/company's computer, I trust wired network better for that. If there is a DSL or Cable internet provider in our area, will that give a big possibility that I will be able to get good signal for the laptop's wireless internet connection? Where do built-in wireless cards get their signals anyway? Is it possible that I will be getting a signal from other people's wireless connection? Can anyone explain this to me? I'm all confused. Thanks a lot!How does built-in wireless connection work in a laptop?
It is true you can connect to the Internet with radio waves. Hotspot however is a term used for an actual company. Hotspot cost money to use. You can pay monthly or pay-as-you go. Once you have an account with them you can use their Internet at Starbucks, airports and other various places (where Hotspot is offered).

Now besides hot spot there are other ways you can connect via wireless. The easiest way is with a router. You already said you don't want to use a wireless router, but actually you can connect any computer to the router via ';wired'; or ';wireless';. Almost all routers have 4 ports for Ethernet and x amount for wired connections. If you connect a computer through the wired ports it would be just as secured as a computer connect straight to the broadband modem. The Internet is never %100 secure by the way.

The other way you can connect with your wireless connection is by searching for open connections. An open connection is a connection that is unsecured and requires no authentication to connect. If your neighbors have a router and no security, then you can connect to the Internet through their router. If you connect using an open connection it is no fault but the person who owns the connection. I had a neighbor across the street connecting to my router so I had to specify that my router would only serve the Internet to my notebook. That worked and now no one but me can connect to my router. Secure and wireless.How does built-in wireless connection work in a laptop?
your laptop will automatically pick-up any available wireless connection that reaches its range - yes you can get online using your neighbor's wireless internet connection as long as your laptop picks up the signal. check out your local cable or dsl internet provider so you can set up your own wireless network.
You must have a router or be in range of a network that is unprotected. You are not likely to find one these days. The hot spots you refer to are airports, wifi cafes, etc. These things have limited range and connectivity without a booster. Short answer: get a wireless router and protect it. The literature will explain how.

No comments:

Post a Comment