Thursday 28 October 2010

I have a wireless security camer on my home wireless network. How do I view it on a network away from home?

I have a linksys wireless routher at home and a trendnet TV IP200W camera. I can view it from any place at home with a password I set up and an IP I gave it on my router. Now how do I go out of home to another network and take a look at what is happening at home?I have a wireless security camer on my home wireless network. How do I view it on a network away from home?
I'm just assuming that on your network you hand out unroutable ip addresses (192.168.x.x) (10.x.x.x)...



The only real/routable ip address is the one connecting to your internet provider off your WAN port on your wireless router and that can change at anytime although it typically doesn't for a long period unless you reboot, etc.



You will have to setup port forwarding so that when you try and connect to the real ip at a specific port...it redirects to your camera.



This video should get you going but search for port forwarding for your specifc router.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWPUdW1kI鈥?/a>I have a wireless security camer on my home wireless network. How do I view it on a network away from home?
Your router may be preventing you from accessing the camera. You said that you gave your camera an IP address. I could be wrong but some internet cameras have programs that treat rthem as internet sites so that you can access them from outside your network providing you use the password that you have set.You may not directly be able to look at it because that would be a security problem. Check out the manufacturer of your camera to see if the offer a service, sometimes for free to access your camera from outside you network. Hope this helps.
1) Look at the configuration of the camera and, if possible, choose an alternative port of, for example, 8000.



2) Note down the IP address of the camera and then configure port forwarding on your router, so that port 8000 requests are forwarded from the router to the camera.



3) Now, you have a couple of alternatives to gain access to your Internet facing IP address.



a) You can subscribe to a dynamic DNS service, i.e. no-ip.com, or dyndns.com. This requires you to run a client on your home PC that updates the dynamic DNS server with your IP. The benefit of this is that, should your IP address change, it will be reflected at the dynamic DNS server. To access your router, you would type something like:-



http://%26lt;name you choose%26gt;.no-ip.org:8000



This should show the web page on the camera's web server



b) Get yourself a static IP. This will never change, even if your router restarts. The only issue is that you need to remember the IP address. It's not as easy as remembering the dynamic IP name you've assigned. You can still subscribe to a dynamic DNS service, it's just, kind of, defeating the object.



You would now type something like:-



http://217.130.128.33:8000
Type in your wan ip address and set up port forwarding to your camera's ip address.

http://'; cameras ip address'; in the address bar of your web browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment