Sunday 21 November 2010

How can I keep my room mates from using my wireless connection?

The router is in my room connected to a laptop.

I use the wireless connection for my other laptop as well.

Her desktop has one of those wireless reader cards, how can I make it so she has to enter a password each time she tries to use the internet with my wireless connection?How can I keep my room mates from using my wireless connection?
If you want to keep her out all of the time, set up a MAC allow list on the router, add your wireless adapter Physical Address (the MAC) to the list, and only add her MAC address when you want her to be able to use the wireless connection.How can I keep my room mates from using my wireless connection?
Use WEP or WPA encryption and don't tell your roomie the key.



Good Luck
You need to add security to your connection, to do this you need to go into your router settings from one of your computers.



To do this you need to type in the local IP address of your router in your internet browser, this is usually something like : ';192.168.0.1';. if you are unsure of the address you need to either locate the manual for your router if you bought it, or call up your internet service provider if they supplied you with the router.



once you have the IP address, type it into your internet browser and it will ask you for a username and password. Most of these default to

Username:admin

Password:password



this information would be located in the user manual or on the back of the router itself. After you find it then you should make sure you change the password to something else in the router menu after logging in for extra security.



Once you are logged into your router settings you need to find the tab to add a secure password onto your network, this is different for every router but it is easy to find once you have logged in, make sure you choose a 128 bit security over a 64 bit one if possible.



After this is done make sure you save your settings in the tab provided if there is one and then log out. now click on your connection on windows and press connect, type in the password and click save, it should connect and you will not need to type it in again.



To be honest i get most of my information for stuff like this from http://www.ryan-murphys-portfolio.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment