Sunday 21 November 2010

How do I get my laptop to work wireless at home?

I have the wireless connection through my cable company, my question is that I know my laptop(windows vista) has a wireless modem built in but it will not connect to the internet unless the cord from the connection they set up is plugged into it? Do I need to install something else so I can get it to connect wirelessly?How do I get my laptop to work wireless at home?
I know this is silly, but is your laptop's wi-fi turned on? I'm guessing you've only been able to connect to internet via Ethernet cord so far? You shouldn't have to install anything.



Make sure the wi-fi for the laptop is on, try searching for wireless connections (should be on your ';start'; taskbar, near the time display). View wireless networks%26gt;%26gt;The strongest signal with the most bars should be where you're trying to connect to (hope you have the password). You can also try searching via control panel%26gt;network %26amp; internet connections%26gt;network connections (to make sure there's a connection for your wireless).

You might need to set up the wireless connection, if this doesn't work though.



It's hard to picture what the problem may be, it could be simple, or a bit more complex. I had a field day trying to get wi-fi for a windows 7 laptop that required setting up a new connection every time, but since yours is a vista, it shouldn't be as bad. Good luck.How do I get my laptop to work wireless at home?
Perhaps you should go to Control Panel%26gt; Network Connections and set it up manually. Plus you need to install the proper drivers for your wireless Modem. The wizard will guise you through the process
@agent m



You don't need any specialized drivers to use a specific router..



There should be a configuration wizard somewhere in Control Panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment