Friday 19 November 2010

How do I bridge my ethernet and wireless on my laptop in Ubuntu?

I am setting up a new desktop, and it has an ethernet card. My laptop has wireless and ethernet. I can't find the desktop's USB, so I want to temporarily attach it to my laptop through ehternet and then use the wireless on the laptop to create a network bridge. They are both running Ubuntu 9.10. Is this possible to do?How do I bridge my ethernet and wireless on my laptop in Ubuntu?
Wow, that's a tough one. I'm not sure if that's possible. What I would try is to create a peer to peer connection and see if it works on Ubuntu. If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.How do I bridge my ethernet and wireless on my laptop in Ubuntu?
Yes, this is possible and relatively straight forward:



1. You'll need a cross-over cable (or a switch) between the ethernet ports of the computers.



2. You'll need to create on both computers static IP configurations for the ethernet ports in a subnet that is separate from the wireless subnet (e.g. 192.168.99.1 on the laptop and 192.168.99.2 on the desktop if wireless is 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x). In the desktop configuration, use the laptops ethernet IP address as the gateway.



3. On the laptop, you'll net to enable IP masquerading so that traffic from the ethernet port gets forwarded to the wireless port. Instructions for how to do that are here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intern鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment