Friday 19 November 2010

How do I set up a second wireless router in my home?

My family has one wireless router upstairs, but it doesn't really reach the basement very well in order to allow me to play Xbox Live. So now I have a 2nd router (Not wireless) and I plan on setting that up in the basement and connecting it to my Xbox via Ethernet. So how do I do this? I have already tried just plugging it all in and turning it on.How do I set up a second wireless router in my home?
No, you really can't do that. There has to be only one gateway system for your internal internet to access the outside world, and all traffic flows through that gateway. In your house, that's the wireless router. Unfortunately, wireless signals don't flow all that well vertically, which is why basement reception is so poor.



What you need is something called a repeater, also known as a range expander. You configure it and then plug it somewhere midway between the router and the basement. The repeater picks up the wireless signal, cleans it up and boosts it, and then retransmits it so you will get better reception in the basement.



We have exactly the same situation in our house, wireless upstairs and PS3 in basement, and the repeater has made an enormous difference.How do I set up a second wireless router in my home?
you could tap into the back of the first router or if u have a jack downstairs just plug it in there(only if your house is wired) if not try to call you cable/internet service and see what they can do

No comments:

Post a Comment