Tuesday 16 November 2010

How far away will wireless internet pick up a connection to my laptop?

I live in a basement apartment and if I ever want to use the internet I have to hook up my laptop to the upstairs internet. Ive been thinking about buying a wireless router and hooking it up to the modem upstairs. I just wanted to know if my laptop will pick up a signal if Im downstairs and the router is upstairs. Will it be too far?How far away will wireless internet pick up a connection to my laptop?
Depends on your router, standard is 30 to 50 feetHow far away will wireless internet pick up a connection to my laptop?
Do note that wireless signals don't travel well through floors, especially reinforced concrete..



Besides wireless there's also the possibility of using the electrical wiring. It's called powerline ethernet. You basically plug something in an electrical socket and plug in the network.
You need a wireless N router, but depending on how far away the base is and how thick the walls and floor are you might be out of luck. But it should work just fine. Be sure to encrypt your signal so others wont connect and use your bandwidth making your connection slower.
If you purchase a wireless N router, you will be fine! Wireless N is the newest in wireless technology, and will definatley cover your whole house.



This is the best one out there: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT300N-Wireless-N-Broadband-Router/dp/B000FDOWQK
Linksys offers different length routers. Basically different routers will extend further, obviously the further they go the more they cost. Often times you can find them at Walmart, Best buy, etc. standard prices will be anywhere from 50-80 dollars. I'd get one of the ';extended'; wireless routers.
Of course it will work. I can pick up my neighbors wireless signal and they live across the street probably 150 feet. You could try splitting the cost of a router with whoever shares the upstairs living space if they are interested in wireless internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment